Thursday, October 6, 2011

iCON, GENiUS, iNNOVATOR

Yes, I know I am probably one of a million people who is writing about the legend that is Steve Jobs.  However, I felt compelled to share my thoughts.

Firstly, I never thought Steve Job's death would have such an impact on my life.  I do not know the man nor do I pretend to know what he eats, which books he reads, or why he still has not spoken to the former CEO of Apple who fired and replaced him in 1985. However, his impact is still very real.  And I am now going to try and explain why:

In 2004, Steve Jobs gave a commencement speech at Stanford University.  I have listened to this speech four times.  To summarize, since you yourself probably have seen it, Steve outlines three main points: (1) what the  dots in each one's life means and how they are connected; (2) how to understand failure; and (3) why we should confront and not turn away from the topic of death.  Within each point, Steve explains and encourages students to see that life is not always what it seems.  For me, this overarching theme carries great weight for me today.  In fact, I try and live by it because I believe it to be true. For example, even though life is tough and the economy seems to be in the tank, I know that where I am today will not define me.  However, what I do today will begin the momentum that will help me achieve where I want to be in ten, fifteen, or twenty years. Steve made me understand this and I thank him for that even though I never knew the man.

Most importantly, it was Steve's last point that had the most impact on me.  Facing death is somebody nobody expects or wants to think about; however, Steve describes death in a way that is in a way beautiful because it is the natural transition that leads to birth.  The people who eventually die will lay the foundation for the new.  However, even more profound was how death makes you realize how important each day is, and how it should affect how we live our lives in a positive and free-spirited way.  Gone are our fears, humiliation, and desire to be noticed.  It allows us to live the life we always wanted to live but could not either because of social, family, or economic pressures.  Ultimately, it is the reality of our own mortality that should help us to create our own identity.  And so it was his last words that rings true for me today:  "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish."

Thank you Steve.  It was never your devices that I found so compelling, even though it did make my life more enjoyable, but your value in helping all of us understand that we are flawed, but individually unique human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment